Apply to Join the 2014 Outdoor Afro Leadership Team Today!
Do you have a passion for the outdoors and want to share it with others?
Consider applying to join the 2014 Outdoor Afro Leadership Team today!
Just two years ago, we successfully launched the volunteer Outdoor Afro Leadership Team–the OALT, of 13 folks who formed a team of “experience ambassadors” for Outdoor Afros all around the country. Since then, this team has grown and flourished. Last year the team led 95 events and 1800 people into the outdoors! Many people have had the opportunity to explore and discover the outdoors right in their own backyards, thanks to these inspiring outdoor role models and our generous sponsors!
As you know, Outdoor Afro supports a vision of outdoor recreation and conservation engagement for everyone, especially for the African American community. At Outdoor Afro, we can provide leaders a platform and the support to help others reconnect to natural spaces right where they live. Leaders can learn to be a role model for camping, hiking, kayaking, birding, fishing — or any other recreational activity to share with others.
We are specifically interested in leaders who can represent the New York, Mid-West, Washington DC, Atlanta, and Pacific Northwest regions, but members from all US metropolitan regions are welcome to apply!
Here is what we require:
- Facilitate a minimum 1-2 OA sponsored events every two months
- Participate in a monthly conference call with other OA Leaders
- Develop two new OALT ambassadors in your region
- Develop an environmental organization/agency partnership for your local support and sponsorship
- Live within 50 miles of an REI store
Leader perks include:
- An $800 stipend upon satisfactory completion of the 2014 outdoor year requirements
- Select FREE premium gear and supplies from sponsors KEEN Shoes, REI, Klean Kanteen, Clif Bar, and more!
- Professional support, coaching, and outdoor skills development training
- The ability to make a tangible and positive difference for your local community and the natural world
Apply now to join our diverse team from around the nation to bring the outdoors to more people in your community!
Next Steps to be Eligible for Consideration:
- Complete the application — submit via email by Monday, February 17th and participate fully in the interview process via phone and video conference calls.
- Be available for a mandatory in–person training from April 17-19 in Northern California.
The 2014 Class of Outdoor Afro Leaders will be confirmed and announced in March, 2014.
For any questions please contact Administrative Leader Coordinator Sela Steiger: email@example.com
The Outdoor Afro Leadership Team is possible because of the generous support of: